Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome To My Marriage Messages

bread crumpets Gabi



bread, you know, is the bearer of history. And behind this there is one small, small but me closely.
An unknown number of years ago, I lived in a house in Tooting Broadway, deep south-west of London. The house was what you might expect from a group - six - of young graduates, students and others from different backgrounds and origins. A big mess and a constant coming and going, a bit of squalor - fought for more fiercely, so much fun.
With us there was a German girl, Gabriel Martin, said Gabi. Merits of Gabi had, has, certainly many, first of all to be one of the kindest people I ever met. But I'm sure if you asked us to all others as the best single thing we all remember her after so long, it would be this fantastic, incredible bread that she cooks all of us.
has passed by, that group of young people has been scattered around the world. Someone has remained more or less close contact, other known generically distant shores. Someone, as happens in life, has lost all trace. Among them is, unfortunately, Gabi, despite her (and her bread) have continued to occupy a place in my heart.
Meanwhile, with my companion, I lived four years in southern Germany. Gabi had returned to live in the town near Stuttgart from which it came and I was not more than 100 km from there! But no, I've searched to no avail. Living in the same region, as well as she was also trying his bread. But for this I had no real success. So many delicious breads in Germany, but none that exactly reproduce the marvel that she had introduced us. I knew he could rank among the Bauernbrot , but try doing a search and you'll find recipes vary so much that the choice is almost endless.
Then recently I came across a version - posted on a blog by a German-American now living overseas - which had at least a couple of key features to get close to my ideal model: it was a bread rye flour which required poolish (ie: a liquid preferment) for 48 hours! Gabi remember exactly what to do, prepare to begin three days before ...
So, with some adjustments to the recipe, I got set and I tried: I started Thursday at noon and I baked in time for the Saturday dinner bread very, very similar to Gabi. You have no idea of \u200b\u200bsatisfaction! Try it yourself.





Ingredients

for poolish:
20g fresh yeast
500ml lukewarm water 1 tablespoon sugar 250g plain flour

for the dough:
rye flour 500g wholemeal flour
250F
1 tablespoon salt 1 / 2 teaspoon sugar 150ml warm water
70g linseed
120g sunflower seeds
70g sesame seeds

Plan in advance! At least 2 and a half days earlier than they wish to have the bread ready to begin the poolish: In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Add the flour gradually, mixing well to dissolve any lumps. Cover with a towel and left at room temperature for 24 hours.
After the first 24 hours, mix again and let rest for 24 hours. The result is a fragrant yeast dough.
Meanwhile, at least 7-8 hours before the poolish is ready, prepare 'soaker' or Soak flax seeds in a cup of water. The
poolish is ready and you are almost good: the hard work starts here!
In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients: flour both - of rye and whole - the salt, sugar, sunflower seeds and sesame ones. Add poolish, seeds linen with their liquid and the remaining warm water and start kneading. If you have a robot with a dough hook you can use it for the first couple of minutes. After I advise you to continue to hand on a floured surface. Only in this way you can judge the consistency of the good and the possible need to add more water. Get good buzz and knead vigorously for at least 15 minutes. It is not an easy work but from a certain satisfaction - for me a thousand times better than the gym!
Put the dough in a bowl and let rise in a warm for 2 hours.
Shoot the dough and turn it again on a floured surface. Knead for another 5 minutes to deflate. Formed in a pair of elongated loaves that put them on a baking tray or in two loaf pans (I tried both solutions and I think the second one the best result but is visually less impact). Cover with lightly oiled foil and let rise for another hour. Meanwhile, bring the oven to 220 degrees.
Sprinkle the surface with a little 'flour and with a slit lengthwise. Bake for 45 minutes. Do not worry if the crust becomes dark. The bread is perfect and so is its crust. Let cool before cutting (if you can!). This bread, kept wrapped in a towel, lasts almost a week.
Thanks:
to Gabi for letting me great memories;
to Petra for posting the recipe from which I left on Allrecipes. com.

With this recipe to participate 'Contest respectable' Today's bread and salami, tomorrow ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment